Tuesday 8 May 2012

Time to get Radical?

In this week’s exploration of environmental economics we seek out ways in which these two interdependent disciplines can better work together in an effort to foster sustainability. I have spent a great deal of time over the past few years being frustrated by the continual marginalization of environmental concerns, not to mention the most recent framing by the Harper Government of environmental concerns as being radical.  What could be more mainstream than concerns over the well being of the biosphere that supports us?  Yet time and time again environmental concerns are juxtaposed with the need for economic growth. 

Lakoff (2010) discusses the failings of liberals in America to frame the environment in a way that generates meaning for the general public.  And I enjoy Lakoff’s (2010) description of how we are drawn to particular narratives.  I often find myself watching world events unfolding and wonder how the story will end.  Will it be a tragedy, a tale of the underdog coming through at the last moment, or perhaps the people involved will go through some transformative experience.  This analogy will likely reveal that I have spent far too much time watching organized sport, as well as the fact that I am an easy target for frames built around narratives. However, when I do (on occasion) watch a Montreal Canadiens game, I often find myself predicting the outcome based on the traditional narratives of sport: the underdog, the veteran player’s final push, the comeback, the collapse...  I increasingly see this playing out in politics, with leaders not necessarily attaching themselves to an issue, but rather to a story that people can relate to.

So what do people relate to in times of crisis?  Throughout history the trend has been towards more radical ideologies.  This narrative is playing out right now in Europe as they face what seems like an inevitable economic meltdown.  Greece recently split its vote between what are essentially Fascist and communist party’s, leading to the election of an ineffective minority government in their parliament.

Maybe it’s time to start framing environmentalism for what it truly is, a radical departure from mainstream values and ideologies (decide on your preferred level of sarcasm inferred in this statement).  Vive la revolution!

References:



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for these great Posts Jamie. I echo your concerns, especially this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you can see in my blog I can't deal with this environment vs. the economy debate. Are we all really that naive and/or crazy? The environment is the economy. It is the only one we have. It is the only thing that will feed us, house us etc... Arrrgh. So yes, I agree with your posting Jamie. Thanks for drawing it to everyone's attention. And yes, it is time to get "radical". I'm right there with ya. Cheers bud.

    ReplyDelete